Brotherton: New Jersey's First and Only Indian Reservation and the Communities of Shamong and Tabernacle that Followed. George D. Flemming.

Brotherton: New Jersey's First and Only Indian Reservation and the Communities of Shamong and Tabernacle that Followed

Medford, NJ: Plexus Publishing, 2005. First edition. Softcover. First printing (stated). Illustrated softcovers. Fine. ix+ 280 pp. with bibliography, index. Illustrated with photographs and reproductions. Scarce history of Brotherton, the first Indian reservation in New Jersey and the only one established for the Lenni Lenape tribe. It was located in central Burlington County (today there remains a small community called Indian Mills) in Shamong Township. In 1758 at a conference with the Delaware Indiians held in Burlington, the tribe requested that a plot of land be purchased for their members living south of the Raritan River. The property, consisting of just over 3000 acres was aquired, in great part to keep natives from aligning with the French during the French and Indian War. For the next 13 years, Rev. John Brainerdacted as Superintendent and Guardian of the Indians at Brotherton but after his deah in1781the settlemant began its decline. By the early 1800s, the Natives moved to upstate New York and eventually to the midwest. Fine. Item #E26006
ISBN: 9780937548578

Price: $47.50

See all items by